Thursday, December 16, 2010

P - Peaceful

I nearly forgot to post. I had been thinking about it all day, but knew I'd have more time and space this evening so didn't want to post from work. And then I got home, and the dishes weren't done, and the floors were dirty and I needed laundry for tomorrow ... and and and. The next thing I knew I was about to collapse on my bed and there's still P is for Peaceful to be written.

For me Peace is one of the most essential elements of Christmas surpassed only by, but also so integral to, love. And the way we do Christmas these days, it's often one of the most overlooked aspects of the season. When I tell people that I haven't bought any of my presents yet, they look at me with something akin to telling them I intend to chop off my big toe and serve it for dinner. But the mania is just so ... man-made. And, I enjoy just wandering the malls and enjoying the displays and when I see something that's right for someone I'll buy it. Sometimes when I see a harried mom or an irritated husband I smile and send them a little prayer for peace. The things we do for love should never be things that wear us down.

I mentioned the other day crying when listening to Silent Night, but there's another Christmas song - one I listen to all year round - that really gets me because it speaks to me of what I wish there was more focus on at Christmas - peace, and for each one of us to cause it.

This one is for BB2 (and I'm sorry they aren't Canadian soldiers):




Let there be peace on earth
and let it begin with me.
Let There Be Peace on Earth,
The peace that was meant to be.

With God as our Father
Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me,
Let this be the moment now.
With ev'ry step breath I take,
Let this be my solemn vow:
To take each moment and live
Each moment in peace eternally.
Let there be peace on earth
and let it begin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...